When a family hears the words, “your child has cancer,” their lives turn upside down.
Keaton’s Child Cancer Alliance’s Family Navigator provides families with the information, resources, and education necessary to navigate the complexities of their childhood cancer journey along with an resource to contact for emotional support through the stresses cancer can put on a family.
Each family referred receives a customized box of hope filled with a personalized snuggle blanket, informational articles, books pertaining to child’s cancer, a journal, a hand knitted hat, pillowcase, art therapy books, gifts for the child and gifts for sibling(s) so they are reminded they are an important part of their families journey.
Keaton’s Child Cancer Alliance also provides financial grants to families in need, which are a majority of our referrals. We provide them with a check for $500, along with the above mentioned items. The entire cost for on complete “Hope Chest” is $750. On average, we assist 140 families per year.
Hope Chest Wish List
Throughout the year, purchases can be made from our Wish List to help fill a Hope Chest for every child and their family. Click on Wish List for a PDF of list below and provide donations directly to Keaton’s Child Cancer Alliance at 2260 Douglas Blvd, Suite 150, Roseville, CA 95661 or call 916.784.6786 for assistance.
- Legos (mini packs) for boys and girls ranging 3-14 yrs. old in age
- Educational Items ages 0 – 18 yrs. old) – Brain Quest, bingo, Alphabet/Number puzzle mats, Leap Frog, Vtech, Baby Einstein
- Movies rated G-PG13
- Beads, Paint Art Sets, Crafts, Playdough
- Family Board Games: Doodle Pro, Games: Monopoly, Candyland, Battleship, Operation, Memory, Connect 4, Perfection, Trouble, Cootie Board Game, Don’t Spill the Beans, Elefun, Hippo Hungry
- Books and puzzles for boys and girls
- Coloring Books, Markers, Crayons (regular and jumbo size), Colored Pencils, Watercolor Books, Crayola Activity Sets
- Artist Sketch Pads, Art Pencils, Charcoal Sticks, Graphite Pencils for teen boys and girls
- Infant Toys
- Writing Journals, Pens
- Trvel Games for any age child
- $5 – $10 Giftcards: Subway, McDonald’s, Jamba Juice, ColdStone, I-Tunes, Baskin Robbins, In and Out, Chipotle and other fast food restaurants
- Gas Giftcards: Chevron, Arco 76, any other gas station
Our families spend much time away from home, traveling and staying at the hospital, so all of these items can help make their hospital stay a bit enjoyable.
A few words of what the snuggle blanket has done……
“We still have a beautiful, blue blanket with Jedidiah’s name on it, and we sleep under it every night! Thank you.”– Mother of and Angel
“She loved the blanket! Every time we go to the hospital, she makes us take it so we can dress up her bed with it.”- Mother of a fighter
“He holds onto it during his appointments. It provides him with so much comfort.”- Mother of a fighter
“Thank you Keaton Raphael Memorial for the beautiful snuggle blanket you sent me. I will be starting out my 4th round of chemotherapy any day now and I’ll be sure to bring my Snuggle Blanket with me!”- A Tiny Hero, Arielle
Finished Snuggle Blanket Measurements
Baby- 3×3 ft.
3yrs-10yrs old- 4.5×4 ft.
Teenagers- 4×5 ft.
1. Blankets are made in three sizes for four age groups. Fabric colors/ prints are chosen to match each child.
- birth – 3 years old 1 yard
- 4-10 years old 1 ½ yards
- 11-18 years old 2 yards
2. Fabric is coordinating fleece: print top with solid back
3. Lay fabric on the floor, right sides together: Smooth all wrinkles out (IMPORTANT)
4. Trim edges of the top/ back together, making sure to remove all lettering/ salvage/ crooked edges
5. Sew together with ½” in seam allowance. Leave 6 in. opening to turn right side out.
6. Turn right side out. Be sure to pull corners square.
7. Roll edges of 6 in. opening closed. Sew with a 1/8 in. seam allowance to close the hole.
8. Pin around all edges before you top stitch a border around the entire blanket 1 – 1 ½ inches from the edge. Be sure to flatten edge of blanket as you sew the border so that the top and bottom are flush to each other.
Thank you to our fabulous blanket making volunteers!